Friday 19 November 2010

Comparism

Looking back at what progress I’ve made from AS to A2, I think I have improved quite rapidly just not as much regarding editing as I still at present find editing the most challenging task. When I first took media studies last year, my first task was to complete an exercise project which was to help develop my skills. The task required me and three of my friends to film a scene from a script that was given to us from our teacher. As I was just beginning to learn the concepts of filming and representation, I didn’t quite know where to film and what shots to use as I was just beginning my process of learning. However, we did end up filming in a suitable location which was in the hall at our school and within the team I and my friend Gemma were selected to act out the script. Looking back at my exercise project at AS level, I think since then I have definitely made a clear improvement specifically developing my acting skills.

The next project that was set was to produce a continuity project. Part of this project, me and my team partner, Bethany Stone had the choice of choosing what we wanted to do for the project. For example, we did some planning and both agreed that we wanted to create a “Chick-flick” project as we both liked that type of genre. Considering our progress of planning, we did not do anywhere near as much as we are set out to do now for our final A2 project. This year we are very familiar with updating out progress on blogs on a weekly basis. Last year I only left a few blogs since the whole class and teacher was just coming to terms with how it works and etc. Looking back from last year my planning has improved dramatically.

This year I am currently working with Abbas and we both update our blogs up to three times a week to depict a strong overview of our progress and ideas. I have already published 43 post so far so this emphasises that I have took the time to write down my ideas and plan effectively for the innovation of our music video. Moving on to the development of camera shots, in mine and Beth’s continuity project we developed a slight better understanding of which shots were most effective, how important the lighting was when shooting as well as which locations looked most professional and suited the genre and representation of the project. When filming our continuity project, I and Beth knew that we had to take many shots from different angles as we knew it was important to have more footage than we need due to perhaps changing our mind of which shots we want to use and if in an unlikely situation we were to loose parts of the footage.

We understood how important it was to use many shot-reverse shots as apart of out project we had a two-way conversation which was I and my teacher Mr Earl. My team partner, Beth made sure that she captured many shots so that it was easier for us to pick in the development of editing the final piece. Even looking back from my exercise project to my continuity project, our knowledge of filming and what shots to use did improve slightly. Additionally, I believe my acting skills improved as I was able to transform more effectively into the role I was playing. After our continuity project was completed, I and Bethany carried on working together and we were set to film our final project at AS level. We had the choice again of what genre we wanted to use. When having a debate about it, we both decided positively to film a short-film portraying horror as we knew that we would be able to do many things with it from the most effective shots and props. As we already had experience from filming our exercise project to continuity project, we had a good understanding of what would work and what would not. I again was the main actress in our final project and Bethany was the one who was filming. This is the project where my acting skills excelled as I was good preparing myself to get into character as well as relating to the genre.

Looking back at last year, I really enhanced my knowledge of camera angles and shots. For example, when filming our final project last year, I and Beth decided to film a chase scene in our project where I would get chased by the man that is stalking me. I had the idea of using some point of view shots from the stalker as I knew this would look extremely effective. From implementing this idea, I could see that my knowledge was progressing as I was coming to terms with what shots would look more realistic and effective. As a result from looking back at my final project from last year, the chase scene looked really effective. I was overall impressed with how effective my final project looked and in the process of planning and filming as well as acting, I believe that my skills had progressed dramatically from first filming my exercise and continuity project. Also from looking back at last years projects, firstly there were many continuity errors in my exercise project but then less in my continuity project and finally there were actually no clear continuity errors in my final AS project. This was down to effective editing of the footage.

Last year, I and Beth still found the editing really difficult from first being introduced to it. Our teacher, Mr Earl really helped us come to terms with how to use the software to the best ability. For example, he helped us in making the chase scene look really effective with the effect of a slow-motion technique and many cuts and fades. Without his help, I don’t think me and Beth would have learnt as much or therefore have as such a good project. After Sir helped us tweak our project, I and Beth still had a go at editing out own footage, however it took us longer than we though to get everything right. In my honest opinion, my partner Beth was the one that found it easier in using the editing software, I found it really difficult. However, I did assist in helping Beth throughout the whole project just I needed a little time in working out the functions of the software.

I and Abbas are now still currently about to shoot the next bit of footage for the innovation of our music video but we have not yet begun editing. However, looking back at the progress I made last year, I think me and Abbas are not going to need as much assistance as we both already understand the basics of the software however I still think I may find it difficult as I am not as confident as I would like to be with editing my footage on the adobe premier software. However, I know that if I do struggle then I have Abbas to help me and my teacher Mr Earl which is a useful source. Looking back at all the choices I have made, I think they have all worked out effectively, considering the marks I have achieved and positive feedback. For example, for my final project last year I came out with a B grade which I was ecstatic about. This proved that my success of planning and development was highly achieved.

This year, I am currently trying to maintain that high level and come out with a B grade in my A2 final project. From all my experience and skills I have developed from last year, I believe that this can be achieved. I overall think I have improved rapidly in becoming a good producer. I now know that planning is vital in going through the process of beginning production. I also know now that depending on people is important also because in order to film footage effectively, you need to reply on your actors to turn up to the settings. I am fully confident this year that my project will become a success as I have used two close friends as my actresses so I already know that they are extremely reliable therefore having no interferences or mishaps. This year, I believe that going through the progress of planning by up dating my ideas on blogs is a reliable source in helping me to review my progress effectively from the start of the year. This way I can see which ideas were efficient and which were not. I am currently at present working at a good pace and I hope that everything will go to plan with my final A2 project due to developing my skills throughout the last year.

1 comment:

  1. This is an incredibly detailed blog entry and should hopefully provide you with an excellent foundation for writing your exam answer. Once you have completed your project, you should have a clear overview of how you have developed. You might want to review the work you have done on a regular basis and note down particular areas where you have improved (for example, editing. But this is a very in depth piece

    ReplyDelete